The Digital Archive of Brief notes & Iran Review (DABIR) is an open access, peer-reviewed online journal published by the Dr. Samuel M. Jordan Center for Persian Studies and Culture at the University of California, Irvine. DABIR aims to quickly and efficiently publish brief notes and reviews relating to the pre-modern world in contact with Iran and Persianate cultures. The journal accepts submissions on art history, archaeology, history, linguistics, literature, manuscript studies, numismatics, philology and religion, from Jaxartes to the Mediterranean and from the Sumerian period through to and including the Safavid era (3500 BCE-1500 CE). Work dealing with later periods can be considered on request.
- From Yima’s Wara to Jamshid’s Throne: Persepolis and the Impact of the Avestan Lore
- Elamo-Hittitica I: An Elamite Goddess in Hittite Court
- Neo-Assyrian Diplomatic Marriage and Divination: A Case Study
- The hypothetical life of an Middle Iranian particle
- Methodological and Historiographical Notes on the ‘Paradise’ as an Iranian Royal Institution
Matthew P. Canepa
- Saansaan Pirosen: Ammianus Marcellinus and the Kidarites
- Avestan ciθra–
- Stoneman, Richard. 2015. Xerxes: A Persian Life. New Haven: Yale University Press. 288 p., £25.00, ISBN 978-0-300-18007-7.
III Review Article
- Jongeward, David, Joe Cribb & Peter Donovan. 2014. Kushan, Kushano-Sasanian, and Kidarite coins: a catalogue of coins from the American Numismatic Society. New York: The American Numismatic Society. 322 pp., $150, 978-0-89722-334-8.
IV Special Issue
- An Overview of the History and Development of the Parsi Priesthood in India up to the 19th Century
Firoze M. Kotwal
- Victorious: The “Arrogance” of Šāhānšah Xusrō Parvīz
- Whipping the Sea and the Earth: Xerxes at the Hellespont and Yima at the Vara
- Dancing in Middle & Classical Persian
Touraj Daryaee & Nina Mazhjoo
- The Niyāyišn and the bagas (Brief comments on the so-called Xorde Avesta, 2)
- Jamshīdī Nō-Rūz : Facts v/s Myth
Dastur Firoze M. Kotwal
- An orgy of Oriental dissipation? Some thoughts on the ‘Camel lekythos’
- The Turkish Iranian emigration as perceived by the Maathir al-Umara (1544-1629)
- Survey of Šāhnāme sources. 1. The so-called *Paykār and *Sagēsarān
- Asatrian, Garnik S. & Viktoria Arakelova. 2014. The religion of the Peacock Angel: the Yezidis and their spirit world.
Vahé S. Boyajian
- Shahbazi, A. Shapur, Tārīḫ-e sāsānīān. Tarjome-ye baḫš-e sāsānīān az ketāb-e tārīḫ-e Ṭabarī va moqāyese-ye ān bā tārīḫ-e Bal’amī [Sasanian History. Translation of the Sasanian Section from the History of Ṭabari and its Commparission with the History of Bal’ami], Tehran, Iran University Press, 1389š/2010.
- Timuş, Mihaela. 2015. Cosmogonie et eschatologie: articulations conceptuelles du système religieux zoroastrien. (Cahiers de Studia Iranica 54). Paris: Peeters Press.
- Briant, Pierre. 2015. Darius in the shadow of Alexander. (Trans.) Jane Marie Todd. Cambridge, Massachusetts: Harvard University Press.
- Bridges, Emma. 2014. Imagining Xerxes: ancient perspectives on a Persian king. (Bloomsbury Studies in Classical Reception). New York: Bloomsbury Academic.
- Malek Iradj MOCHIRI (1927–2015)
- A re-examination of two terms in the Elamite version of the Behistun inscription
Saber Amiri Pariyan
- Alexander and the Arsacids in the manuscript MU29
- Take care of the xrafstars! A note on Nēr. 7.5
- The kings of Parthia and Persia: Some considerations on the ‘Iranic’ identity in the Parthian Empire
- Brief comments on the so-called Xorde Avesta (1)
- Some thoughts on the rock-reliefs of ancient Iran
- A note on the Alkhan coin type 39 and its legend
- Relieving monthly sexual needs: On Pahlavi daštān-māh wizārdan
- Preliminary observations on word order correspondence in the Zand
- Smith, Kyle. 2014. The Martyrdom and History of Blessed Simeon bar Sabba’e
Sajad Amiri Bavandpoor
- Mayor, Adrienne. 2014. The Amazons. Lives and Legends of Warrior Women Across the Ancient World
- Llewellyn-Jones, Lloyd & James Robson. 2010. CTESIAS’ History of Persia: Tales of the Orient
III Special Issue
See AWOL's full List of Open Access Journals in Ancient Studies